Summer is a beautiful blessing.
The warm weather brings about the beautiful plants and atmosphere but below the ground it wreaks havoc on your drainage system. The summer temperatures also bring countless foundation problems and unpleasant odors to your drainage system especially if it isn’t well maintained. As a homeowner, you are responsible for all the damage or blockage of the drainage system within the boundary of your property.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR DRAINAGE SYSTEMS
Instead of dealing with the aftermath of a blocked or overflowing drainage which usually occurs during summer, you can take these preventive measures :
- One of the most important steps in preventing drainage problems is by installing strainers in plug holes of sinks and bathtubs because they are very effective at trapping hairs, big chunks of food and other debris that might block the drainage or produce bad odors.
- After using the fat and grease when cooking, avoid pouring thick grease or fats down the drain.Instead dump it in the trash after it has cooled down.
- It’s advisable to also fix any blockages or broken pipes while they are less serious as doing so will save you a lot of headaches in the future.
Related: Drainage solutions
IDENTIFYING DRAINAGE PROBLEMS
There are a number of ways in which drainage problems can be identified.The most common signs of a defective drainage system include :
- Excess water in the foundation or basement walls
- Standing water in your lawn or vegetation areas
- High humidity in living areas
- Condensation on insulation or water pipes
- Musty odors in living areas
SOLVING DRAINAGE SYSTEM PROBLEMS
A number of solutions can be used to solve drainage problems. The following are among the most common drainage solutions for problematic drainage systems.
Underground Downspout Extensions
Underground Downspout Extensions are used when excess water is causing damage to the foundation or basement wall. The underground Downspout Extensions guide water away from the foundation by connecting the downspout into an underground PVC pipe and discharged to a flo-well.
Catch Basin and Atrium Grates
Catch Basins and Atrium Grates are used to prevent water pooling from damaging plants in the planter. They protect plants by expelling excess water and they connect to an atrium.
Channel Drains and Grates
Channel Drains and Grates channel water away from the garage. They collect water that’s moving across driveways and sidewalks and into a channel before entering the drain.
Sump pumps pump water out of the basement or crawlspace to keep the area clean.Sump pumps are usually installed in the lowest part of the cralwspace or basement to pump water away from the building. They are placed in sump pits which are specially constructed to drain water so that the sump pump can pump it out to avoid any foundation damage.
HIRE A PROFESSIONAL DRAINAGE SPECIALIST
If you feel or see any signs of having foundation problems on your property, don’t hesitate to call a professional drainage specialist. Call California Foundation Works to get a free* drainage system inspection. California Foundation Works is a residential and commercial foundation drainage systems specialist in Los Angeles and the surrounding cities.